lunes, 14 de marzo de 2011

A CHRISTMAS CAROL - PLAYSCRIPT - DEC 2009 - ACT 1

A CHRISTMAS CAROL
PLAYSCRIPT DEC 2009
ACT 1

It was Christmas Eve in London. The bells in the church were ringing all day long. That special feeling which people only seem to have at Christmas was everywhere, that is, except in one place. There was one office, with the name Scrooge and Marley painted on a board. Two men were in it, working, without smiles on their faces. Ebenezer Scrooge, the owner, and Bob Cratchit, his clerk, who was sitting at his desk writing letters, trying to keep his hands warm by the heat of his candle. There was a very small fire in the fireplace. Suddenly the door opened and a young man came inside with a friendly smile.

FRED: Merry Christmas, Uncle! Merry Christmas, Bob!

Bob looked up for a moment.

BOB: Merry Christmas to you, sir.

Scrooge pointed his crooked finger at Bob Cratchit.

SCROOGE: Get back to work, and keep your “Merry Christmas” to yourself! As for you, Fred, I have two words for Christmas: Bah! Nonsense!

Fred came into the shop and closed the door. He never let the smile leave his face.

FRED: Uncle, why do you call Christmas “nonsense”? It´s the one holiday when people open their hearts and truly feel kind towards others. Even you can see that.

Scrooge got up from his desk. He had small, round glasses sitting on the end of his nose. His face was red with anger and he frowned as he spoke.

SCROOGE: I´ll tell you what I see. I see people spending more money than they have. I see work stopping and money lost for a day … that is just like any other day! If I could, I would cancel Christmas and make everyone work twice as hard.

FRED: (with a smile on his face) But the fact is, Uncle, only butchers and bakers work on Christmas Day. So my wife and I want you to come and have Christmas dinner with us.

SCROOGE: No!

FRED: Uncle, please…

SCROOGE: I said no and I mean no! Go away and have your Christmas without me!

FRED: As you wish, Uncle, but nothing you say can make me change how I feel. Merry Christmas to you, Bob, and a happy New Year!

BOB: And a Merry Christmas to you, sir.

SCROOGE: Goodbye! (to the public:) There´s another idiot, my clerk, with fifteen shilling a week, and a wife and family, talking about a merry Christmas. (to Bob) Go back to work, there´s lots to be done!

Soon after Fred left, two kind women with books and papers in their hands came into the shop asking for money for the poor.

WOMAN 1: Scrooge and Marley I believe; have I the pleasure of addressing Mr. Scrooge or Mr. Marley?

SCROOGE: Mr. Marley has been dead for seven years. He died seven years ago this very night.

WOMAN 2: Ah, we´re sorry to hear that. (they feel a bit embarrassed)

WOMAN 1: Yes, but today is a very special day and we have to think of those that remain alive and not those that have already died.

WOMAN 2: And not all the people who are alive have enough these days.

Scrooge is getting nervous and angry little by little.

WOMAN 1: These days we should make some provision for the poor and destitute who suffer greatly at the present time.

WOMAN 2: Many thousands suffer from common necessities.

WOMAN 1: (Taking a notebook and a pencil and trying to write down the quantity) Right Mr. Scrooge, how much should I put you down for?

SCROOGE: (very angry) Nothing!

WOMAN 2: Ah, you wish to remain anonymous? We understand that…

SCROOGE: I wish to be left alone! I don´t like Christmas, I don´t feel happy at Christmas and I don´t want to make other people happy!! Good afternoon Ladies!

WOMAN 1: But, but … all the other businessmen in the city are giving SOMETHING!

SCROOGE: I don´t care! If they want to lose their money it´s their problem. And there are places for the poor, let them go there!

WOMAN 2: But the workhouses are all full, many people can´t get in. (looking down very sadly)

WOMAN 1: They have nothing to eat and nowhere to go. (also looking very sadly)

SCROOGE: I´ve already told you. It´s not my business. (very determined and serious he stands up and goes towards the door, opens it to let the ladies leave) Good afternoon, Ladies!

The two ladies leave very offended without saying goodbye. While the two ladies are going out a young boy tries to get into the shop singing Christmas Carols.

BOY: ‘We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas…’

SCROOGE: Oh, go away!!

Scrooge doesn´t let him in but slams the door on him.

SCROOGE: (talking to Bob) These people will never leave me alone! How can I get any work done?

It´s six o´clock.The bell of the church strikes six. Bob looks at his watch nervously. Scrooge also looks at his pocket watch angrily.

SCROOGE: I knew it, time to close and I´ve lost all my precious time with people who have nothing to offer me! Well, I suppose you want to stay at home tomorrow? (looking at Bob).

BOB: Well, … er …. Yes, sir.

SCROOGE: It´s going to cost me money! You won´t work and I´ll have to pay you for the day!

BOB: It is only one day a year, sir. (Looking nervous)

SCROOGE: Oh, very well, very well, but be here early the next morning! (says Scrooge impatiently).

BOB: Yes, sir. (he closes his book, leaves his pen, gets up, opens the door, and just before he leaves he stops, looks back and says) Merry Christmas, sir.

SCROOGE: Nonsense!

Scrooge is alone in the office. He takes his hat and coat and puts them on. Then he leaves, looking down in a sad way, murmuring things about Christmas.

END OF ACT 1

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario