martes, 15 de marzo de 2011

A CHRISTMAS CAROL - PLAYSCRIPT -- DEC 2009 - ACT 2

A CHRISTMAS CAROL
PLAYSCRIPT - DEC 2009
ACT 2
Scrooge walks home alone, he goes past people laughing and singing Christmas carols in the street. The only thing he said from time to time was: Bah, Nonsense! When Scrooge came to his front door, he stopped to find his key. When he opened the door he saw the face of a man. It was the face of Jacob Marley, Scrooge´s old partner. Scrooge took a step backwards and hid his face in his hands in terror. 

SCROOGE: Ahhh! You are dead Jacob! Go away! Please don´t hurt me! 

When Scrooge looked up Jacob´s face was no longer there. 

SCROOGE: I´m an old man. My eyes are not so good now. I imagined it! (talking to the audience). 

Scrooge gets into the house. Now he is in his bedroom. There is a bed, a table and an armchair. He sits in the armchair and starts drinking a tea. 

SCROOGE: Christmas! Bah! 

He gets ready for bed in the dark. He puts on his nightgown, slippers and nightcap. Then he gets into bed. Suddenly, when he´s trying to sleep  he hears a noise on the stairs and the clanking chains get nearer. 

SCROOGE: (Sitting on his bed) What are these noises? Are there ghosts in the house? … No, I won´t believe it. There are no such things as ghosts! 

The little fire becomes very bright and a  figure appears: Jacob Marley. It has a long heavy chain around its waist with keys, padlocks and purses of money suspended from it. His eyes are red and sad. He is wearing a white suit. 

SCROOGE: (He whispers, trembling) Jacob, what are you doing here? What do you want from me? (Marley stands opposite him). 

MARLEY: I come to warn you Scrooge! (In a strange, distant voice). 

SCROOGE: Warn me? Why? (perplexed) 

MARLEY:  I am here, Ebenezer, to help you. I don´t want you to become unhappy, like me. (Pointing at himself) 

SCROOGE: (surprised) But you made lots of money, Jacob.You were a good businessman. How can you be unhappy? 

MARLEY: I never gave to the poor. I never helped other. (Looking very very sad) That´s why I wear these chains. I have been dead for seven years , since then I must wander all over the earth. I can never rest. I don´t want you to die and become like me. 

SCROOGE:  Do you mean that I will become a ghost like you? Tell me! 

MARLEY: I can´t. But I want to help you. You are not a good man, Ebenezer Scrooge but you still have a chance to change. (Marley starts  to leave).   

SCROOGE:  Wait Jacob, you must tell me more! 

MARLEY: Three spirits are going to visit you tonight. Learn from them. They are going to show you how to become a good person and save yourself! 

SCROOGE: But I don´t want spirits to visit me! (frightened)  

MARLEY: (disappearing) You must listen to them Scrooge, your future depends on it! 

SCROOGE: Wait, wait! 

MARLEY: (He turns to say his last words and then disappears) I´m so tired, Ebenezer. I have to go. 

The bright light from the fire disappears. Scrooge gets up and goes to the window. He looks out. There was only the sound of the wind blowing outside. Scrooge felt cold and lonely. Sadly he went to bed. It gets dark in the room. 
 ....
Scrooge wakes up suddenly. It was very dark in his bedroom. He looks around and remembers Marley´s visit. 

SCROOGE: Last night I saw Marley.. or .. was it just a dream? 

The clock outside strikes one o´clock. At that moment a strange figure appears near Scrooge´s bed. The ghost is a beautiful woman with white curley hair. All dressed in white with a beautiful belt and is holding some holly in her hand.  A Bright light shines all around her. Frightened, Scrooge pulled the bedclothes up to his neck. 

SCROOGE:  Who are you ? What do you want from me? 

SPIRIT OF THE PAST: I am the ghost of Christmas Past. (Her voice is soft and gentle) 

SCROOGE:  What do you mean, Past? 

SPIRIT OF THE PAST: Your past, Ebenezer Scrooge. I am here to show you how you used to be. 

SCROOGE: Why? I know how I was. (speaking angrily to her)   

SPIRIT OF THE PAST: Come with me. We´re going outside. 

SCROOGE: It´s cold out there. I´ll freeze! 

SPIRIT OF THE PAST: Take my hand. 

They disappear behind the curtains.

END OF ACT 2

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario