viernes, 11 de septiembre de 2009

ROMEO AND JULIET-PLAYSCRIPT-act 2

ROMEO AND JULIET
PLAYSCRIPT
ACT 2
.
ROMEO IS GOING TO THE PARTY WITH BENVOLIO AND HIS FRIEND MERCUTIO. THEY ARE ALL WEARING MASKS SO THAT NOBODY CAN RECOGNIZE THEM. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS FOR THE MONTAGUES AND THEIR FRIENDS TO GO TO A PARTY WHICH IS BEING HELD IN THE HOUSE OF THE CAPULETS.
.
ROMEO: Put on your masks. They must not recognise us. I cannot wait to see my beautiful Rosaline.
.
LORD CAPULET: Welcome gentlemen. Come in. Dance and drink and eat. Enjoy yourselves. When I was younger I whispered sweet things in the ears of the ladies. But now I am old. My dancing days are finished. I will sit here with the old people and talk about the past.
.
As they get into the house, Romeo sees Juliet for the first time. He forgets Rosaline immediately.
.
ROMEO: Who is that lady? She is more beautiful than the moon. She is like a bright jewel in the darkness. I have never loved until now, now I can see this.
.
Tybalt is standing close to Romeo and recognises his voice.
.
TYBALT: I know his voice. He is a Montague. Bring me my sword. It is a great insult for a Montague to come here to laugh at our party. I will kill him.
.
LORD CAPULET: What is the matter, Tybalt?
.
TYBALT: That man in the mask is a Montague, uncle.
.
LORD CAPULET: Be calm, Tybalt. Is it Romeo? He has a good reputation in Verona. This is a party, I want no trouble in my house. Let him enjoy himself.
.
TYBALT: No, uncle. He is our enemy.
.
LORD CAPULET: Don´t be cheeky, youngman. I am the master in this house. You must do as I say!
.
TYBALT: I will leave the party. I cannot stay here with a Montague in the same room. But I will not forget. Romeo will have a good time tonight, but tomorrow he will pay!
.
Meanwhile Romeo is talking to Juliet. He is taking her hand gently in his.
.
ROMEO: My lips are ready to kiss you.
.
JULIET: But I do not know you.
.
ROMEO: I must kiss you.
.
JULIET: Here I am, my lips are here.
.
Romeo kisses Juliet. He kisses her a second time. Then the Nurse comes to take Juliet to her mother.
.
NURSE: Juliet, your mother wants you. You must come with me.
.
Juliet goes to see her mother. Romeo stays with the Nurse.
.
ROMEO: Excuse me, who is that girl?
.
NURSE: Young man, that is Juliet. She is a Capulet.
.
Romeo looks surprised and upset. The Nurse leaves to meet Juliet.
.
ROMEO: (Thinking aloud) What! I am in love with the daughter of the enemy of my family!
.
JULIET: Nurse, who is that young man?
.
NURSE: That is Romeo, a Montague.
.
JULIET: Oh, no! I am in love with the son of the enemy of my family. We can never be married!
.
The people leave the party little by little. The curtains close. Now we can see the garden of the Capulets and Juliet´s balcony. Mercutio and Benvolio appear. They are looking for Romeo.
.
BENVOLIO: Where is Romeo?
.
MERCUTIO: Look, he is there in the shadows. What is he doing?
.
BENVOLIO: He is jumping the wall. He is going to the garden of the Capulets.
.
MERCUTIO: Romeo, Madman! Lover! He is going to look for Rosaline!
.
BENVOLIO: Quiet! You will make him angry. His love is blind!
.
MERCUTIO: (Laughing) Good night, Romeo. He is probably sitting under a tree, dreaming about that girl. He is mad!
.
Mercutio and Benvolio go home. The night is silent. In the dark garden, Romeo suddenly sees a light. Juliet is standing on her balcony. She begins to speak to the night. She does not know that Romeo is listening.
.
JULIET: Oh, Romeo, Romeo! Why is your name Romeo? Let´s change our names. Then we can love. Forget that you are a Montague. Or, if you love me, I will not be a Capulet. Montague and Capulet are only names. A rose can have any name. It always smells sweet.
.
ROMEO: I will change my name for you.
.
JULIET: Who is there? Who is listening in the middle of the night?
.
ROMEO: I won´t tell you my name because it is your enemy´s.
.
JULIET: I know your voice. Are you Romeo? But how did you get over the garden wall?
.
ROMEO: Love gave me wings. No walls can shut our love.
.
JULIET: If my family find you, they will murder you.
.
ROMEO: The night hides me. I am safe. Love has sent me here to you. I love you and I know that you love me.
.
JULIET: Yes, but what shall we do? Our families are enemies.
.
ROMEO: We must get married secretly. We will do it tomorrow. I will tell the nurse where you must meet me. Will you marry me?
.
JULIET: Yes, Romeo. But, will you be true?
.
ROMEO: Yes, my darling. I promise by the moon.
.
JULIET: But the moon changes. Will your love change?
.
NURSE: Juliet! Juliet! (We can hear the Nurse from the distance approaching)
.
ROMEO: Never! I will always love you. Do you love me?
.
JULIET: I told the night that I loved you and you heard me.
.
NURSE: Juliet! Juliet!
.
JULIET: My love is as deep as the sea. But I must go. The Nurse is calling. Good night, Romeo.
.
ROMEO: Good night, my love.
.
NURSE: Juliet! Juliet!
.
JULIET: I´m coming, Nurse! Good night my love. It is very sad to say good night, but tomorrow we will be married!
.
Juliet leaves. Later Romeo leaves slowly. Curtains shut.
.
END OF ACT 2

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario