miércoles, 16 de septiembre de 2009

ROMEO AND JULIET-PLAYSCRIPT-act 5

ROMEO AND JULIET
PLAYSCRIPT
ACT 5
.
JULIET IS WITH LADY CAPULET IN JULIET´S ROOM.
.
LADY CAPULET: Good morning, my dear Juliet. How are you?
.
JULIET: It is very early. I am not well.
.
LADY CAPULET: Are you still crying for your cousin Tybalt? It is good to cry but now it is time to stop.
.
JULIET: It is very early. I am not well.
.
LADY CAPULET: Are you still crying for your cousin Tybalt? It is good to cry but now it is time to stop.
.
JULIET: Let me cry more for my cousin.
.
LADY CAPULET: Well, really you should cry because Romeo, his killer, is still alive. But don´t worry, I will send a servant to Mantua to poison him. He will not live long. But Juliet, I have good news for you. You will get married to Paris early next Thursday morning. Then you will be happy.
.
JULIET: (Crying louder and louder with her mother´s words) No, mother. It is impossible. I don´t want to get married so soon. Tell my father this.
.
LADY CAPULET: (Angrily) Here comes your father. Tell him yourself.
.
LORD CAPULET: What? Are you still crying? Wife, have you told her the news?
.
LADY CAPULET: Yes, the little fool thanks you but she won´t marry Paris.
.
LORD CAPULET (Surprised) Lord Paris is a very fine gentleman, this is a great opportunity.
.
JULIET: Thank you, father, but I will not marry him.
.
LORD CAPULET: (Very angry now) Put on a wedding dress on Thursday and go with Paris to the church. If you don´t, I´ll pull you there by the hair!
.
JULIET: Good father, listen to me...
.
LORD CAPULET: No, you listen to me! Don´t argue with me! I´m glad we have no more children like this.
.
NURSE: Please, don´t be angry with my little Juliet, sir.
.
LORD CAPULET: Shut up, you fat old fool.
.
LADY CAPULET: Calm down.
.
LORD CAPULET: I have decided! If you don´t obey me, I will throw you out in the street!
.
lADY CAPULET: (Juliet begins to cry, Lady Capulet takes her husband´s arm) Goodbye daughter, you must obey your father.
.
Lord and Lady Capulet leave. Juliet and the Nurse stay in the room.
.
JULIET: What shall I do? I already have a husband that I love.
.
NURSE: Well, Romeo is not here. Paris is a fine gentleman, it´s true. He is more handsome than Romeo. Forget Romeo and marry Paris.
.
JULIET: Is it possible that you say these words? Do you speak from your heart?
.
NURSE: Of course! (Looking happily at Juliet)
Juliet is astonished with the Nurse´s words but she says nothing and starts to cry silently. The Nurse leaves. Juliet remains alone.
.
JULIET: I cannot trust her. I will ask the Friar for advice. He is the only person who can help me.
.
Juliet leaves the room. Curtains close. Curtains open, we can see the Friar´s cell. The Friar is very worried. He is thinking. Then Paris arrives.
.
PARIS: Good morning, Friar. I´m going to marry Juliet next Thursday.
.
FRIAR: (He looks surprised) Does she love you?
.
PARIS: I don´t know. We haven´t talked about love because she is weeping for her cousin´s death. But I have spoken with Lord and Lady Capulet and our marriage will make her happy again.
.
FRIAR: Well, here comes Juliet. We will know very soon.
.
PARIS: (Looking happily at Juliet) Welcome my lady and my wife. Have you come to tell the Friar that you love me?
.
JULIET: (Doesn´t know what to say). I cannot answer that. But please, let me talk to the Friar privately.
.
PARIS: Goodbye my future wife. I know that you love me. I will see you on Thursday in the church. (He leaves)
.
FRIAR: Be happy, Juliet. I have a plan. You and Romeo will be together.
.
JULIET: What must I do? I will do anything for Romeo, my husband.
.
FRIAR: Go home and agree to marry Paris.
.
JULIET: I cannot do that!
.
FRIAR: Listen carefully. On Wednesday night go to your bedroom alone. Take this bottle and drink the liquid. It is a special potion. You will sleep for forty-two hours. Your family will think that you are dead. They will carry you to the tomb of the Capulets. Meanwhile, I will send a message to Romeo. He will come secretly to the tomb. When you wake up, you will escape together. Are you brave enough to do this, Juliet?
.
JULIET: Give me the bottle, Friar. Love will give me strength.
.
Juliet goes home. Curtains close. Curtains open. Lord and Lady Montague are in the living room with the Nurse. Juliet arrives.
.
JULIET: Mother, father, I have changed my mind. I will obey you. I have seen Lord Paris at the Friar´s cell and I´ve told him that I love him.
.
LORD CAPULET: That´s good. You are a good daughter.
.
LADY CAPULET: You have made your old father happy.
.
JULIET: I´m going to my room to pray. (The Nurse follows her) Do not come with me, Nurse. I want to be alone.
.
Juliet leaves. Curtains close. Curtains open. Juliet is alone in her room.
.
JULIET: Here is the bottle. I am frightened. Perhaps it is poison. Or perhaps I will wake in the tomb and Romeo will not be there. I will be alone in the middle of the dead bodies with my dead cousin Tybalt. It will be terrible!
.
Juliet picks up the bottle and raises it to her lips.
.
JULIET: Romeo, Romeo, I drink to you!
.
Juliet drinks the contents of the bottle. She falls on the bed. Some time passes and Juliet is in the same position. In the morning the Nurse comes to wake her up for the wedding.
.
NURSE: You lazy girl. Why are you still sleeping? You can´t lie in bed on your wedding day. (She comes closer to Juliet and touches her, then she starts getting very nervous) Help! Help! My lady´s dead! My lady´s dead!
.
Lord and Lady Capulet run into their daughter´s room.
.
LADY CAPULET: She´s dead, my little girl is dead!
.
LORD CAPULET: Her body is cold. I cannot speak.
.
The Friar and Lord Paris arrive.
.
FRIAR: Is Juliet ready to go to church?
.
LORD CAPULET: Oh, Paris, death has taken your wife.
.
NURSE: (Crying) Oh, terrible day! O sad day! O unhappy day! There has never been such a black day!
.
FRIAR: Do not cry. Juliet is in heaven. She is happier there than when she was alive.
.
LORD CAPULET: The wedding must become a funeral. Tell the musicians to play sad tunes. Put the wedding flowers on my daughter´s body.
.
END OF ACT 5

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario