jueves, 10 de septiembre de 2009

ROMEO AND JULIET-PLAYSCRIPT-act 1

ROMEO AND JULIET
PLAYSCRIPT
ACT ONE
.
(Voice off stage)
IN THE BEAUTIFUL CITY OF VERONA, THERE ARE TWO FAMILIES - THE MONTAGUES AND THE CAPULETS. THEY HATE EACH OTHER. THEY HAVE HATED EACH OTHER FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. ONE DAY THE SERVANTS BEGIN TO FIGHT IN THE STREETS.
.
SAMPSON: (Servant of the Capulets) If I meet any man or woman from the house of the Montague, I´ll push them out of the way. I will stand and fight!
.
Just then a servant of the house of Montague came into the street. Sampson took out his sword and bit his thumb at them. This was a great insult. The servants began to fight.
.
SERVANT OF THE MONTAGUES: The Montagues are better than the Capulets!
.
SAMPSON: Our masters, the Capulets are better!
.
Then Benvolio, a member of the Montague family arrived. He tried to make peace.
.
BENVOLIO: Stop fighting, you fools! Put away your swords!
.
But no-one listened to him. The servants continued fighting and Benvolio took out his sword to stop them. Then Tybalt, a member of the Capulets, arrived. He is the most dangerous member of the Capulets, he is violent and loves fighting.
.
TYBALT: Benvolio, you have drawn your sword. Now you must fight with me. Look at your death!
.
BENVOLIO: No, fighting is stupid! I am only trying to separate these fools. Put away your sword or use it to help me keep the peace.
.
TYBALT: I hate all the Montagues and I hate you! Your sword is out, fight!
.
With these words Tybalt attacks Benvolio with his sword. The Lord and Lady Capulet arrive. Lord Capulet is old but he wants to fight too!
.
LORD CAPULET: Bring me my sword!
.
LADY CAPULET: You are too old to fight. You don´t need a sword, you need a crutch!
.
The Lord and Lady Montague arrive. Lord Montague is swinging his sword although his wife tries to stop him. Soon everybody is fighting. It is very dangerous. At last, the Prince of Verona arrives. He is very angry.
.
PRINCE: Stop fighting. I want peace in my city. Lord Capulet and Lord Montague you are old but you are not wise. If your two families fight again, you will both die! Lord Capulet, come with me now, we must talk. Lord Montague, come to see me this afternoon.
.
Everybody leaves except the Montagues. The fight is over.
.
LORD MONTAGUE: How did it begin?
.
BENVOLIO: The servants were fighting. I drew my sword to stop them. Then Tybalt arrived. He began fighting with me. Soon everyone was involved. Tybalt wants to kill all the Montagues. He is very dangerous.
.
LADY MONTAGUE: Where is my son Romeo? Is he safe?
.
BENVOLIO: I saw him this morning. He was walking alone in the fields. He saw me but he didn´t want my company, he was feeling sad. He went into the forest.
.
LORD MONTAGUE: People have often seen him there in the forest early in the morning. He often cries. Then he comes and locks himself in his room in darkness. Something is wrong with him.
.
LADY MONTAGUE: Why is he sad, Benvolio? Do you know?
.
BENVOLIO: No, I don´t know. But look, he is coming now. I will ask him about his problems.
.
LADY MONTAGUE: I hope he will answer you. We will leave you to speak privately to him.
.
Lord and Lady Montague leave and Romeo arrives sadly.
.
BENVOLIO: Good morning, cousin.
.
ROMEO: It is a sad morning.
.
BENVOLIO: Why? Why are your days sad and long? Why are you unhappy Romeo?
.
ROMEO: I am...
.
BENVOLIO: In love?
.
ROMEO: I am in love but she doesn´t love me. Love is a terrible thing, Benvolio. I love and I hate. Love is a madness...
.
BENVOLIO: Tell me, who do you love?
.
ROMEO: I love sweet Rosaline. She is beautiful, intelligent and good. But she doesn´t love me. That´s why I´m sad.
.
BENVOLIO: Forget her, there are many other girls.
.
ROMEO: No, I can never forget her.
.
Two servants of the Capulets arrive. They have a list of names on a piece of paper. The servants meet Romeo and Benvolio but they don´t know that they are Montagues.
.
SERVANT OF THE CAPULETS: Excuse me. Can you help me?
ROMEO: What´s your problem servant?
.
SERVANT OF THE CAPULETS: My master, Lord Capulet, is having a party in his house. He is inviting all the important people from Verona, but I can´t read this name on this piece of paper.
.
ROMEO: Don´t worry. I will help you.
.
Romeo starts reading the paper.
.
ROMEO: The name is "Lord Paris" ... Look Benvolio, Rosaline will be at the party. ... I have an idea!
.
Curtains shut. Short pause within the act. Curtains open and we can see Lady Capulet talking to Juliet. They are in her room. The nurse who looks after Juliet is also there.
.
LADY CAPULET: Dear Juliet, your father Lord Capulet is having a party. He has invited all the important people from Verona, except the Montagues, of course. He has also invited Paris. You know that we hope you will marry him one day. He is an important man, a lord from Verona and a very close friend of the Prince.
.
JULIET: Mother, I am only fourteen years old, I am too young to get married.
.
NURSE: I would love to see my little Juliet married. You will have happy days and happy nights.
.
LADY CAPULET: Prepare yourself for the party, my dear. Put on your new dress, you look so beautiful in it. See you in the party my dear.
.
Lady Capulet leaves the room.
Curstains shut.
.
END OF ACT 1

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario